Some engineering firms specialize in buildings of a certain size or type, or they represent primarily larger clients but few if any smaller ones. Criterium-McWilliam Engineers does it all.
Our highly skilled engineers have experience evaluating buildings of all types and all sizes, and they can meet the full spectrum of client needs. Criterium-McWillaim Engineers provides the straightforward evaluation required for a small building, and the far more extensive Property Condition Assessment (PCA) purchasers of larger buildings, and the lenders financing these transactions, typically demand.
The Gold Standard for Inspections
A Property Condition Assessment is the gold standard for building inspections, conforming to widely recognized national standards set by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), and Standard and Poor’s. A PCA covers every aspect of a property, including, but not limited to:
- Paving and curbing
- Security and fire safety
- Regulatory compliance
We look at every major component and every significant aspect of a property’s physical condition. The comprehensive inspection report our engineers produce details their findings, identifying deficiencies they have found and noting areas of deferred maintenance that may require attention – and may have budget implications – in the future.
A Plan you can Trust
A Capital Needs Assessment is intended to assist owners, land trusts, etc. in maintenance planning for multi-family housing projects, office, rental, industrial, health care, hospitality, and mixed use properties.
A Criterium-McWilliam CNA includes:
- A review of the condition of siding, roofing, ventilation, chimneys, caulking, and other important conditions related to the exterior of the building.
- A thorough site review to assess the adequacy of drainage systems, exterior lighting, and other relevant site conditions.
- A thorough inspection of the interior of the building to establish an understanding of the quality of workmanship and materials, and to identify any conditions that might be relevant to the ownership of this property for the long term.
- A review of construction for compliance with drawings, specifications, and good construction practices.
- A report discussing the current condition of the facility including a maintenance plan and budget.
Your comprehensive CNA report from Criterium-McWilliam Engineers includes:
- A review of the structural condition of the property and identification of any maintenance/repair needs.
- A review of the condition of the mechanical and electrical systems and related maintenance/repair needs.
- A review of the condition of the exterior finishes including roofs, siding, caulking, and other important conditions related to the exterior of the buildings.
- A review of the site area conditions and other common maintenance items.
- A recommended maintenance plan identifying the repairs that will likely be required, and when, over the next twenty years.
- A preliminary budget (based on current dollars) for the recommended twenty year maintenance plan, which will aid in developing an appropriate reserve fund.
Proficient and Client-oriented
Criterium-McWilliam Engineers is not only technically proficient; we are also intensely client-oriented. We don’t simply tell clients what services we offer; we ask them what they need. We know that all building owners, buyers of and investors in commercial property are not alike. Many have developed their own inspection templates to match their unique investment goals and portfolio requirements, and Criterium-McWilliam Engineers is comfortable working within those individualized parameters. We will also work with clients to develop customized inspection standards and protocols that may be either narrower or more expansive than the national standards. Our engineers take these inspection protocols, whether national or customized, as a starting point – a base line that we aim to exceed with Property Condition Assessments that set the industry standard for professionalism and quality. We ask questions and listen from the beginning, so we can exceed our client’s expectations.
Wondering whether a building purchase makes financial sense? The information Criterium-McWilliam Engineers provides in a Property Condition Assessment can help you answer that question. Contact us to tell us what you need and we’ll tell you how Criterium-McWilliam Engineers can help.